Consider these facts:
– The video gaming market is a $ 40 billion per year industry.
– Almost 40% of US households own at least one video gaming console.
– Almost 200 video games, at the average, are released per month, spread throughout several platforms.
– Video gaming consoles have been in existence for close to 4 decades now. Video gaming companies have been impact players in the home entertainment industry for almost 30 years.
– With the rising price of gas, more people will find ways of entertaining themselves at home, and video gaming would be a very attractive option.
The numbers enumerated above will immediately tell us that you can indeed make money repairing game consoles – lots of money in fact. The base market is there. What should be determined is the demand.
How often do game consoles break down?
The current generation of video game consoles isn't as sturdy as previous versions of the same. The primary example that would illustrate this fact is, without a doubt, Microsoft's Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 is plagued by a persistent problem signified by 3 red lights – infamously labeled as the 3RL or the 3RLOD (3 red lights of death) – on the front of the console itself. These 3 red lights indicate general hardware failure, the details of which Microsoft refuses to discuss in public. The 3RL problem is rather prevalent. Microsoft pegs it at 16%, but observers believe that it can go as high as 60%.
Now, the 3RL problem, which was once thought of as hopeless, has been dissected by home-based enthusiasts and some cures have been formulated. Microsoft refuses to acknowledge these cures. However, these cures do work, and often, these cures permanently solve the 3RL problem.
Here's where it gets pretty interesting if you want to make money repairing game consoles: cures for 3RL problems for the Xbox 360 are easy to implement. By merely studying the procedures involved, you'd be able to get a unit up and running in no time. You don't need thorough knowledge of electronics. You don't need experience in repairs. You don't need to read complicated schematics. Just follow some YouTube videos and you're good to go.
But not every console owner would be willing to learn these things.
Hence, the demand for game console repairs.
People who make money repairing game consoles either repair the consoles themselves or publish information products, such as eBooks and special reports, detailing steps on how to fix these video game units. One such entrepreneur who sells an information product on how to fix the dreaded 3RL problem for the Xbox 360 earn more than $ 1,000 per day by merely advertising his product over at a popular Xbox 360 forum.